Friday, March 22, 2013

Tender Mercies




When the Bishop came, he came with his cute wife who has also become on of my friends.  She brought a pad of paper with (okay, can't remember the saying) something on the front that means, notice the blessings around you.  She said it would be good to write the things down where you can see the Lord's hand at work.  I appreciated this, because although I had no time to write anything in the hospital, it was in the front of my mind to notice and remember the tender mercies of God amidst the struggles.  I realize sometimes they are harder to see when you are in it, but looking back they are there all along the way.
One blessing, I knew was a gift from God is, the day before this happened I had decided to not clean or workout, or do any of my regular routines.  I wanted to focus on the kids.  I knew Jacks and I would be leaving on business in the next couple weeks and wanted to create time for the kids.  I like packing early, so I can use the time before I leave focusing on them. I had been having a feeling for a couple of weeks "notice Hudson".  So that morning, I said "okay Hudson, it's your day, I will do whatever you want.  We can play any game or any activity, you pick."  He chose to play basketball in our basement (no shock) Normally, he can play with Korv or by himself while I work out, but today I played:)  He beet me, and kept tabs by writing it on a paper, it was darling.  He put me and Korv on a team against him.  He told us how many points each shot was and if something we did was against the rules, also putting foul shots in place.  We had a good time and played for a long time, and then I was ready to go get ready for the day, but Korv said it was his turn, so I said "okay I can give you ten minutes" (I realize even ten minutes goes a LONG way with children and playing with them)  He picked "lazer tag"  I had a nerf gun, Korv used a fake gun and Hudson had a nerf gun.  We had to hide, then jump out, run around and pretend to shoot each other:)  It was pretty funny.
I then let them know we had a picnic in the kitchen today, so they needed to go find blankets to lay out on the kitchen floor.  I got ready and then we had our PB&J picnic.  Just putting it on a blanket made it exciting in our home.  Hudson then went to school, but right when he got home, I took him with the other two to wheeler farms, to walk around and see the animals.
I had wanted to finish packing this day, but instead I spent the entire day with the kids, something you can never regret.  Normally I do floors on wednesday, and bathrooms on thursday, none of this got done, and in the hospital I was so grateful that I had not spent my time doing that.  I waited until all the kids were asleep, and then I went and finished packing.

David A. Bednar  (Tender Mercies of the Lord, April 2005)
"the Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ. Truly, the Lord suits “his mercies according to the conditions of the children of men” (D&C 46:15). -
"I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Often, the Lord’s timing of His tender mercies helps us to both discern and acknowledge them."


No comments:

Post a Comment